How does one know if they are clairsentient? What exactly is it?
First, we must understand what ‘Clair’ means. Clair comes from the word “clear” and can mean a variety of things such as: being clear-headed, the ability to see clearly, etc. This brings us to sentience, which is defined as:
- The state or fact of being aware especially of sensations and perceptions
- Sensation or feeling especially as interpreted by mind or intellect
- Direct awareness especially of moral and ethical qualities in oneself and others
- Capability for sensation
- Having feelings
- Awareness through sight or hearing
- Figurative discernment
- Archaic reason
- Technical capability
The word sentience, when applied to a person, can mean that they are self-aware of their feelings and emotions, and/or it could mean that they have the ability to feel or perceive beyond what is naturally possible.
Clairsentient, therefore, means having a clear feeling of something, or more simply said: being able to pick up on or feel things that most cannot. For example, some people might be able to tell if someone nearby has been crying because of the scent associated with tears. They can pick this up over the smell of perfume from in the room who has just walked in. Similarly, clairsentients can often sense the emotions of others. They might be able to feel if someone is angry, sad, or happy, even if that person is not near them.
So what does this all mean for those who are clairsentient?
For clairsentients, life can be quite a challenge at times because they are constantly bombarded with feelings and emotions from others that they might not always understand. It can be difficult to block out the noise of other people’s thoughts and feelings. Clairsentients also tend to be very intuitive and often have prophetic dreams or visions. They may also have a strong connection to the spiritual world.
Some clairsentients report that they can also read physical sensations such as temperature, tingling, or pressure. They may also be able to receive visions, words, or images. Clairvoyance and clairaudience are two other types of extrasensory perception. Some people who are clairsentient use their ability to help them with their work, such as therapists, doctors, nurses, and social workers. They may also use it to help them in their personal lives by being able to better understand their own emotions and the emotions of those around them.
If you think you might be clairsentient, then here are a few things to try:
- Meditate and practice mindfulness. The more you become aware of your own thoughts and feelings the less likely you will be affected by those around you. You can also use this time to ask your higher self or spirit guides for help in understanding what it is that you might be picking up so that you can better understand how to work with it.
- Find ways to ground yourself such as yoga, meditation, etc. Grounding helps the body release excess energy and emotions through the earth’s grounding energy which pulls excess energy from us back into the Earth where they cannot affect us anymore.
- Create a safe space for yourself where there are no outside influences affecting your energy. This could be a room in your house that you consider to be your “safe place” or it could be a specific spot outside where you feel at peace. Spend time there whenever you need to relax and reset.
- Talk to someone who understands what it is like to be clairsentient. There are many people out there who have this ability and they will understand what you are going through. It can be very helpful to talk to someone who has been through the same thing and can offer support and advice.
Being clairsentient is not always easy, but with some practice, you can learn how to manage your abilities and use them for good. Remember that you are not alone in this and there are others who understand what you are going through. You can do this!
Clairsentience in history
Spiritualist mediums have long claimed clairsentience as their means of communication with the dead. Clairaudience, the psychic ability to hear things not normally audible, particularly spirits’ voices, was also claimed by some. Many spiritualist writers have connected this phenomenon with telepathy.
Clairsentience requires a strong foundation of energetic sensitivity in order to work effectively due to its nature of operation occurring outside normal sensory perception ranges. Many clairsentients develop their abilities in other ways such as energy healing work, shamanic journeying, or psychic mediumship. All of these skills help to build and open the energetic pathways that allow for clearer perception. As with any other skill set, daily practice is essential for development and refinement of clairsentience.
Some clairsentients find they are more sensitive to energy during specific times of the year or lunar cycle. For example, some may feel more drained or overwhelmed during periods of high energetic activity such as a full moon. It is important for these individuals to learn how to manage their sensitivity in order to lessen the impact it has on their daily lives. Strategies like setting boundaries, taking breaks when needed, and utilizing energy shielding techniques can be helpful.
Clairsentience is a wonderful gift that allows us to connect more deeply with others and the world around us. With some practice and self-care, we can all learn to access this ability and use it for the greater good.