Meditation is a practice that has been around for centuries. It is a way to focus your mind and achieve a state of relaxation. There are many different types of meditation, but all of them involve focusing on your breath or a mantra. Meditation can help you relieve stress, improve your mood, and even increase your productivity. It’s a great way to start your day or to relax after a long day at work.
Meditation’s history can be dated back to 1500 BCE, when it was used in Hinduism and Buddhism. It is often seen as a practice to focus the mind and achieve enlightenment. Today, there are many different types of meditation, most of which involve focusing on the breath or a mantra.
If you’re new to meditation, it can be a little bit tricky to get started. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Find a place to sit or recline in which you will not be disturbed for the time period you’re allotting yourself for meditation, whether it be 5 minutes or an hour. If noise or some other disturbance is constant where you plan to practice, try using earplugs or headphones and listen to calming music or nature sounds.
- Make sure your posture is comfortable for you. You may sit cross-legged on the floor, in a chair with feet flat on the ground, or even recline if that is more comfortable for you.
- Once seated/reclined, close your eyes and begin to focus on slowing down your breath by counting each inhale and exhale for a set number of cycles, even counting as high as 10 on each. If thoughts come up and you lose count, simply begin again at 1 when you feel ready.
- After your breath is regulated and you have a good focus, begin to silently introduce a mantra or sound that you will repeat to yourself for the duration of your practice. It could be a word, phrase, or even just the sound “om.”
- Remain here for the time period you’ve allotted yourself, gradually letting go of the mantra/sound and returning to just listening to your breath until the end of your practice.
Then slowly open your eyes and begin your day.
Types of meditation and how to go about them:
Meditation music can be a great way to help you focus during your practice. There are many different types of meditation music, but most of them have nature sounds or calming instrumental music in the background. You can find meditation music on Spotify, YouTube, and even iTunes.
Guided meditation is a type of meditation in which you are guided through the practice by a voiceover or teacher. This type of meditation can be helpful if you are new to meditation or if you struggle to focus on your breath or mantra. There are many different types of guided meditations, including mindfulness meditation, sleep meditation, and even yoga nidra.
Transcendental meditation, or TM, is a type of meditation that was made popular in the 1960s. It involves using a mantra to focus on during your practice. The mantra is chosen by a certified TM teacher and is unique to each person.
Yoga Nidra is a type of guided meditation that is often used for sleep induction. During Yoga Nidra, you are guided through a relaxation technique that is meant to induce deep sleep. You can find Yoga Nidra recordings online or in some yoga studios.
Sleep meditation is a type of meditation that is specifically designed to help you fall asleep and get a good night’s sleep. It usually involves focusing on your breath and repeating a mantra to help you relax. There are also many sleep meditation tracks available online, or you can create your own using sounds of nature or calming music.
If you’re looking for an app to help you get started with sleep meditation, there are plenty out there. Headspace and Calm are two of the most popular, and they offer free trials so you can try them before you buy.
Mindfulness meditation is a type of meditation that focuses on being present in the moment. During mindfulness meditation, you focus on your breath and the sensations in your body. You pay attention to what is happening right now, without judgment. Mindfulness meditation can be helpful for stress relief and improving moods.
Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) is a type of mindfulness meditation that was created in the 1970s by Jon Kabat-Zinn. MBSR is an eight-week program that teaches people how to use mindfulness to reduce stress. The program includes guided meditations, yoga, and stretching.
Chakra meditation is a type of Kundalini yoga that focuses on the seven energy centers in the body, known as chakras. During chakra meditation, you focus on each of the seven chakras and work to clear any blockages. This type of meditation can be helpful for improving energy levels and balancing the body’s energies.
Mantra meditation is a type of yoga that involves repeating a mantra or sound during your practice. The mantra is chosen by a certified teacher and is unique to each person. Mantra meditation can be helpful for calming the mind and reducing stress.
Breath meditation is one of the simplest forms of meditation. During breath meditation, you focus on your breath and the sensations in your body. This type of meditation can be helpful for calming the mind and reducing stress.
Walking meditation is a type of mindfulness meditation that involves focusing on your breath and the sensations in your body while walking. This type of meditation can be helpful for improving focus and increasing energy levels.
Metta or loving-kindness meditation
Metta or loving-kindness meditation is a type of Buddhist meditation that involves sending love and kindness to yourself and others. This type of meditation can be helpful for improving relationships and reducing stress.
No matter what kind of meditation you want to follow or be a part of, try any that you resonate with and which brings you mental and spiritual peace. It can be a life-changing addition to your routine.